Friday, July 20, 2007

"It is the glorious prerogative of the empire of knowledge that what it gains it never loses. On the contrary, it increases by the multiple of its own power: all its ends become means; all its attainments help to new conquests." Daniel Webster

"The more an idea is developed, the more concise becomes its expression; the more a tree is pruned, the better is the fruit." Alfred Bougeart

"Make yourself necessary to somebody." Emerson

Last night Larry King interviewed Tammy Faye. The CNN video is available here. My sense is Larry (a former colleague) and his producers failed to exercise good judgment by putting the very fragile, cancer ravaged Tammy Faye on the show. Voyeuristic, sensational, exploitive. Without regard to her intentions or wishes in granting, or perhaps requesting, the interview (e.g., to say goodbye), someone should have done the right thing for Tammy Faye and prevented her on screen appearance. It seems to me this should have been a matter of preserving dignity, instead it became another example of the media's disregardful behavior. Shame on you Larry. When your last days are near my sincere hope is someone is there to look out for you, a producer that passes on the death's door get, a producer that does the right thing to preserve your memory, your dignity.

Congrats & cheers: Al Peterson announces his Talk Media Conference coming Q1 of 2008.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you David. I was equally appalled. This was exploitation at it's most disgusting level.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it was a tough call for Lar and Tammy Faye. It is a time for her to find peace and comfort with God and those who know and love her.

Looking on the bright and positive sides, it may have been like an adrenalin shot of inspiration for her to know that Larry and the folks still care, are concerned about and love her.

A friend of mine, Ken "Hubcap" Carter, who left us a couple of years ago was in the hospital, near death back in 2000. He made it thru the crisis and called me a couple of months later. I asked him what he was thinking about when he thought he was going to die.

He said, "I was all alone and I looked out the hospital window, and thought to myself, 'Gee, it would have been nice to get together with all my radio friends I worked with and knew just one more time before I die."

With that, I told him that I was going to make that happen for him. He and I came up with a list of about 20 people who we could contact by e-mail and invite to a little reunion. Soon, those 20 people had told a bunch of
others who wanted to come.

What began as 20 turned into a reunion of between 250 and 300 people who came to the event from not only the North Texas area but as far away as California and New York. See www.kfjzreunion.com

At that reunion, many folks came up to me and asked if I'd help organize another reunion the following year in San Antonio or Houston, and that we should have one each year in a different city.

Knowing that reunions usually work only once and that we'd need a reason to get together, I came up with the idea and founded the Texas Radio Hall of Fame. I asked a few others to be on a council of advisor to help co-found it.

Our first event was in 2002. Ken was inducted before he died. See
www.texasradiohalloffame.com

But, Ken told me that the original reunion may have been the inspiration that kept him alive a little longer.

So, some good and great came from that one thought of loneliness.

Here's hoping that, with all that Tammy Faye has endured in her life, the appearance on Larry King Live may have brought some comfort and inspiration to her, and let her know that folks care for her.

Anonymous said...

David

You sir, are 100% correct. The King went over the line, he participated in a tasteless exploitation of a clearly confused and very ill person.

Really enjoy the daily quotations. I share them with our managers each day. Always good food for thought. Keep up the good work. Cheers!